The journal is an interactive on-screen daily record unique to each player in DayZ.
The journal displays the basic information of the player, their humanity and their number of kills.
The first page of the journal displays the player's name, location they spawned in on Chernarus, the date, days they have been alive on this life, any status effects they may be suffering, their health and any weapon they may have.
The second page displays the player's humanity as a qualitative value. In this case, it is a playing card. The card changes depending on the player's humanity. A survivor will have a 'joker card,' bandits have a number card in the clubs suit and heroes have a number card in the hearts suit. The number of the card changes depending on the humanity level.
The third and fourth page will only be applicable to players that are bandits or heroes. There are three stages for each humanity level; bandit or hero. There appears to be a glitch on this page as the level 3 bandit images appears for those above that humanity level.
The fifth to eighth pages will display the player's current kill count for zombies, headshots on zombies, bandits killed and murders.
The text in the journal will change depending on the player's name, location, state of health and other factors. These are some of the possible options:
- "At least I haven't got any broken bones, and I'm in full health"
- — Journal when the player has no broken bones and maximum blood
- "At least I... and apart from some minor wounds that need attending to, I'm in pretty good shape."
- — Journal when the player has no broken bones and blood at three fourths
- "At least I... although I do feel really sick, but I've lost some blood. Good thing I've got a blood bag on me. Now only if there was someone who could hook me up..."
- — Journal when the player has no broken bones, infected, blood half way and blood bag in main inventory
- "At least I... although I do feel really sick, but I'm physically pale from loss of blood."
- — Journal when the player has no broken bones, is infected and blood almost zero
- "Good news is I'm packing a [weapon name] and I've got some ammo for it."
- — Journal when the player has a weapon and ammunition
- "Good news is I'm packing a [weapon name] but I haven't got any ammo for it."
- — Journal when the player has a weapon but no ammunition
- "For some reason I think it's a good idea to wander about without arming myself. Maybe I should try and find a weapon."
- — Journal when the player has no weapon
- Oddly, the journal never mentions the player's hunger, thirst or temperature.
- ↑ Day Z Forums: 1.7.7 - Rolling Changelog: post #2, viewed on 13 September 2013 <http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103845-177-rolling-changelog/?p=1338095>.